I can’t believe how much my personal care routine has changed in these past few months. I use far fewer products, spend less time in the bathroom, and my counters and cabinets are much more organized! Now that we’re a few months into the Beauty Detox, I thought I’d share an update on my routine.
Here are the 28 “essential” products I was using before the beauty detox. (28?! “essential”?! wow. How things have changed in a few months!)
Here were the substitutions I started with.
And here’s what I’m doing now:
- Teeth: I’m still using my sage tooth powder, but I also alternate with a natural peppermint tooth powder I bought at a bio shop in France.
- Body Moisturizer: Almond oil mixed with a few drops essential oil. I like geranium essential oil. Or frangipani. I keep this pre-mixed in a pretty bottle on the counter. I like that it’s really easy to make, so I can try lots of different scent combinations … for a former product-junkie like me, this is important so I don’t get ‘bored’.
- Body: Shower with castille soap. Getting a bit bored of this. I think I’ll buy unscented next time, and add my own essential oils! Using natural crystal deodorant.
- Face – morning: Rinse with water. Every couple of days, I do a baking-soda scrub. Just make a paste with baking soda and water, and scrub! Face moisturizer – just a little coconut oil in dry spots. (My skin is generally on the oily side.) Ok ok, I haven’t totally given up makeup, but I’m only using Bare Escentuals products, which I think are pretty natural. I’m not using this toner in the winter, but will probably start again in warmer weather.
- Face – evening: After a bad bout of breakouts, I’ve finally found a routine that works for me. I’m using the Oil Cleansing Method (google it for more info, I’ll write about it soon) on my face every evening. I also do a face mask at least once a week, usually a honey mask, but I also use green clay when I feel like my skin needs a deep cleaning.
- Hair: I finally figured out the secret to living shampoo free! Of course, I still wash my hair (breathe a sigh of relief!), but without shampoo. You can read the details of natural haircare here.
I admit I cheated a couple of times.
I cheated and used hair dye. I know, that’s the most toxic of toxic products!!! But it was a weak moment. I’ve since bought several types of henna, and am going to experiment with those soon.
I’ve also used real anti-perspirant a couple of times, for stressful work days when I couldn’t take the risk of mine not working.
So what’s next?
I want to make my own peppermint tooth powder. I’d like to make a wider variety of body creams and scrubs. And more bath bombs. I absolutely loved these lavender bath bombs, and want to start making them in different scents and shapes. Now that I’ve got the basics covered, I want to experiment with spa-type indulgences – things that aren’t necessary, but that make bath time fun!
What products would you like a natural alternative for?? Let me know what you want, and I’ll test some handmade versions!
Do Well. Be Well.
Sign Up for Weekly Insights, Rituals & Remedies to
Transform Meaningful Work into Personal Freedom.