I can’t believe how much my personal care routine has changed in these past few months. I use far fewer products, spend less time in the bathroom, and my counters and cabinets are much more organized! Now that we’re a few months into the Beauty Detox, I thought I’d share an update on my routine.
Here are the 28 “essential” products I was using before the beauty detox. (28?! “essential”?! wow. How things have changed in a few months!)
Here were the substitutions I started with.
And here’s what I’m doing now:
- Teeth: I’m still using my sage tooth powder, but I also alternate with a natural peppermint tooth powder I bought at a bio shop in France.
- Body Moisturizer: Almond oil mixed with a few drops essential oil. I like geranium essential oil. Or frangipani. I keep this pre-mixed in a pretty bottle on the counter. I like that it’s really easy to make, so I can try lots of different scent combinations … for a former product-junkie like me, this is important so I don’t get ‘bored’.
- Body: Shower with castille soap. Getting a bit bored of this. I think I’ll buy unscented next time, and add my own essential oils! Using natural crystal deodorant.
- Face – morning: Rinse with water. Every couple of days, I do a baking-soda scrub. Just make a paste with baking soda and water, and scrub! Face moisturizer – just a little coconut oil in dry spots. (My skin is generally on the oily side.) Ok ok, I haven’t totally given up makeup, but I’m only using Bare Escentuals products, which I think are pretty natural. I’m not using this toner in the winter, but will probably start again in warmer weather.
- Face – evening: After a bad bout of breakouts, I’ve finally found a routine that works for me. I’m using the Oil Cleansing Method (google it for more info, I’ll write about it soon) on my face every evening. I also do a face mask at least once a week, usually a honey mask, but I also use green clay when I feel like my skin needs a deep cleaning.
- Hair: I finally figured out the secret to living shampoo free! Of course, I still wash my hair (breathe a sigh of relief!), but without shampoo. You can read the details of natural haircare here.
I admit I cheated a couple of times.
I cheated and used hair dye. I know, that’s the most toxic of toxic products!!! But it was a weak moment. I’ve since bought several types of henna, and am going to experiment with those soon.
I’ve also used real anti-perspirant a couple of times, for stressful work days when I couldn’t take the risk of mine not working.
So what’s next?
I want to make my own peppermint tooth powder. I’d like to make a wider variety of body creams and scrubs. And more bath bombs. I absolutely loved these lavender bath bombs, and want to start making them in different scents and shapes. Now that I’ve got the basics covered, I want to experiment with spa-type indulgences – things that aren’t necessary, but that make bath time fun!
What products would you like a natural alternative for?? Let me know what you want, and I’ll test some handmade versions!
Let's Trace the Roots of You
(Re)discover the foods, places, traditions, and rituals that make you, YOU.
Sign up for weekly insights to get unstuck + create a life of meaning!