Ready to get started with your own Sleep Experiment?
Choose one of the remedies below to test for one week. Please test it at least 3 times that week, and record your experience in a notebook. At the end of the week I’ll send you a link to a survey to collect your results.
The Sleep Experiment Remedies:
* Hot lavender bath before bed – 1-2 hours before bedtime, take a 20-30 minute warm bath. Add 10 drops of lavender essential oil to the bath before getting in (you can buy this at most pharmacies).
* Warm milk, cinnamon & honey – 30 minutes before going to bed, drink a glass of warm milk with a sprinkle of cinnamon and a spoonful of honey.
* Cherry juice – Have a glass of 100% pure cherry juice, twice per day.
* Play with Lighting– Every morning, get 15 minutes of bright sunlight (either natural, or with a light-therapy lamp). 2 hours before bed, dim the lights in your house. Then 1 hour before bed, turn off all screens (laptops, televisions and iPads please!).
* Eliminate all caffeine for 2 weeks – pretty self-explainatory. If you can give it up 100% that’s the best. If not, experiment with your caffeine intake. How about reducing your intake? Or only drinking it before lunchtime?
* Valerian tincture/extract – you’ll have to buy this herbal remedy. I suggest buying it at your local pharmacy in the UK or ordering from Mountain Rose Herbs in the US. A tincture is an herbal extract in alcohol. Take it as specified on the package.
* White chestnut flower remedy drops – You can find the Bach flower remedy brand at Holland & Barret in the UK. In another part of the world? Ask at your local pharmacy / natural food store.
* Sleepytime tea (or Chamomile tea) – Have a cup of chamomile (or Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime, if you’re in the USA) tea 1 hour before bedtime. (You don’t want to drink so much tea that you keep waking up to use the toilet, so use a reasonable sized cup!)
* Mindfulness meditation 20 minutes every evening – Some time in the evening before bed, spend 20 minutes in a quiet area doing a simple mindfulness exercise. There are lots of mindfulness resources on the web, or try Dr. Weil’s exercise #2 here.
Which one are YOU going to try this week?
Did a friend send you this link? Make sure to sign up for The Sleep Experiment yourself so you can participate! Click here to sign up.
Do Well. Be Well.
Sign Up for Weekly Insights, Rituals & Remedies to
Transform Meaningful Work into Personal Freedom.