Ready to get started with your own Sleep Experiment?
Choose one of the remedies below to test for one week. Please test it at least 3 times that week, and record your experience in a notebook. At the end of the week I’ll send you a link to a survey to collect your results.
The Sleep Experiment Remedies:
* Hot lavender bath before bed – 1-2 hours before bedtime, take a 20-30 minute warm bath. Add 10 drops of lavender essential oil to the bath before getting in (you can buy this at most pharmacies).
* Warm milk, cinnamon & honey – 30 minutes before going to bed, drink a glass of warm milk with a sprinkle of cinnamon and a spoonful of honey.
* Cherry juice – Have a glass of 100% pure cherry juice, twice per day.
* Play with Lighting– Every morning, get 15 minutes of bright sunlight (either natural, or with a light-therapy lamp). 2 hours before bed, dim the lights in your house. Then 1 hour before bed, turn off all screens (laptops, televisions and iPads please!).
* Eliminate all caffeine for 2 weeks – pretty self-explainatory. If you can give it up 100% that’s the best. If not, experiment with your caffeine intake. How about reducing your intake? Or only drinking it before lunchtime?
* Valerian tincture/extract – you’ll have to buy this herbal remedy. I suggest buying it at your local pharmacy in the UK or ordering from Mountain Rose Herbs in the US. A tincture is an herbal extract in alcohol. Take it as specified on the package.
* White chestnut flower remedy drops – You can find the Bach flower remedy brand at Holland & Barret in the UK. In another part of the world? Ask at your local pharmacy / natural food store.
* Sleepytime tea (or Chamomile tea) – Have a cup of chamomile (or Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime, if you’re in the USA) tea 1 hour before bedtime. (You don’t want to drink so much tea that you keep waking up to use the toilet, so use a reasonable sized cup!)
* Mindfulness meditation 20 minutes every evening – Some time in the evening before bed, spend 20 minutes in a quiet area doing a simple mindfulness exercise. There are lots of mindfulness resources on the web, or try Dr. Weil’s exercise #2 here.
Which one are YOU going to try this week?
Did a friend send you this link? Make sure to sign up for The Sleep Experiment yourself so you can participate! Click here to sign up.