So, I’ve been spending a lot of time thinking about my purpose and finding that sweet spot where I can really help people. (All this thinking means I’ve had less time to do projects – but it’s just a natural cycle and the projects will come back soon I promise!)
I’ve also been thinking a lot about VintageAmanda: how do I sum it up in a few words to explain to new readers?
It’s not just about cooking, or making beauty products. It’s not just about loving vintage stuff and relearning traditional skills. It’s not just about health and lifestyle. It’s about all of these things – but it’s something more.
I think I’ve finally figured it out.
VintageAmanda is about rediscovering how to live!
I mean, how to really LIVE and enjoy your life, not just plod along or survive it.
All of the advice, projects, wisdom and ideas that I love seem to center around this idea of truly living and enjoying your life.
After lots of musing over several cups of tea (and a glass of wine), I’ve distilled the VintageAmanda philosophy into these 5 guiding principles.
5 guiding principles to live your best life
(These aren’t rules. Just guidelines, but they work for me. Adapt as needed.)
- Eat real food. Eat things that someone’s great-grandmother would recognize. Cook more. Eat enough real food so that there isn’t space in your diet for the fake, processed stuff. Your health and overall wellness will thank you!
- Simplify. This means something different for everyone. Maybe it means less shopping. Or clearing out your attic. Reducing your commitments. Using fewer beauty products so you have an easier morning routine. Or maybe it means having focus on what is important, and letting the other stuff fall aside. But simplify! It reduces stress and makes you feel better.
- Make stuff yourself. If you make something yourself, you’ll like it more. Also, making stuff exercises your creativity, curiosity and keeps you learning (which is good for your brain!). You’ll also usually save money. And if you’re making food, cleaning products or beauty products- the stuff you make will be way healthier than what you can buy!
- Live clean. Reduce chemicals in your life. This is healthier for you and for the planet. This can mean choosing non-toxic cleaning products, personal care products, using less plastic, making less waste. Just generally trying to detox your life.
- Be here now. This one is all about mindfulness. Actually being in your life, rather than lost in your thoughts. There are tons of ways to do this – meditation, prayer, mindfulness, yoga, exercise, baking bread … just pick one and try it.