When you have a cold, do you pop a few pills and carry on with life?
There’s a simple, time-tested home remedy that you can make to feel better when you have a cold – or anytime during the winter months.
What is this home remedy? Hot honey, lemon and ginger.
Hot honey, lemon and ginger is quick & easy, and uses ingredients you probably have in the kitchen. Don’t have fresh ginger root on hand? You can always use some powdered or dried crystal ginger too … but fresh is best! In traditional usage, honey, lemon and ginger was used to help get over a cold. Personally I love the fresh citrusy/spicy taste from the lemon and ginger, and I enjoy it as an easy, warming drink all winter long.
[Of course, you can always add a shot of whisky for a nice hot toddy … and extra cold-fighting power, depending on who you ask!]
Why Honey, Lemon and Ginger?
Honey: Honey is a naturally antibacterial and antiseptic. It also coats the throat, to soothe dry or sore throats.
Lemon: Lemon is antibacterial and has a high amount of vitamin C (and gives a nice fresh taste.) In aromatherapy, lemon is used to detoxify the body, stimulate the lymph and liver, and for purifies the skin and respiratory tract.
Ginger: Ginger is the essential ingredient in this drink. Ginger is hot and spicy, and is traditionally used to warm the body, for colds & to stimulate the immune system. Ginger also may reduce inflammation.
How to make Hot Honey, Lemon and Ginger tea
- Cut a 1/2″ piece of fresh ginger root. Peel. You might want to cut in a few smaller slices to put in the mug (more exposed surfaces means more ginger juice gets in the tea!). Place ginger in mug.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon in the mug.
- Add 1 big spoonful of honey (or to taste).
- Fill with recently boiled water.
- Optional: Add a healthy shot of whisky, if you’re feeling like you need an extra kick.
What’s your favorite winter warmer or pick-me-up for the February slump??